Social Icons

emailtumblrYouTubetwitterlast.fmSloundCloudMixCloud

Sunday 20 May 2012

On The Radar

First of all, we’d like to thank all of our silent readers – our blog has been live for a little over three weeks – and we’ve had 400 page reads – which makes these two blog virgins extremely happy and eager to keep sharing our musical finds, thoughts, views and memories.

He-who-shall-remain-nameless-and-took-forever-to-write-his-first-post is now cracking the whip (his words) and threatening all sorts of nastiness if I do not publish a new post now right now right now.

Well then…

"On The Radar" is how I tag bands I find interesting on first listen, on last.fm. It helps me keep track of what I discover; it’s easy to forget when going through hundreds of bands a week. I will be dedicating weekly posts to my On The Radar bands, ladies first.

Cruel Black Dove (Brooklyn, NY, USA)

Mmmm, guitar, bass, drum, female vocals – is basically the long and the short of what I like to listen to most. The next tune is it. Cruel Black Dove has been around since 2007. Think PJ Harvey, Patti Smith, Nick Cave, Curve, Depeche in a Twin Peaks haze. Yeah. Website with freebies and further reading.


Shilpa Ray and her Happy Hookers (Brookly, NY, USA)

While we are on the subject of PJ, Nick and Brooklyn, here is another one – she is described as a vulgar Ella Fitzgerald, compared to Blondie, The Cramps and Dresden Dolls…. which is not evident in the next tune, you need to listen further and make your own opinion, here is just a taste. For more info go here


She Keeps Bees (I give you one guess, NY, USA)

Out of the three, She Keeps Bees and I have had the longest relationship. I meant to dedicate a full post to them, and might still do so – but at the moment they fit here nicely. Two piece band, blues rock, she taught him to play drums (she and he are a couple). My favourite tune up next, you can find their tunes here.

She Keeps Bees - Gimmie


Over and out, next post will be dedicated to bands from my neck of the woods – Serbia. Worry not, we speaka da English.

4 comments:

  1. And I'm searching for English bands that sing in Serbian. Bloody typical. She who will be named. FISHIE. gives me all the hard bloody jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I know of a band who refer to themselves as the Croatian invasion of America, the lead singer has a very distinct voice. I would hazard a guess that he can understand/speak Serbian but they only sing in english at lest so far. You could always ask them? They are on twitter @inthego

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great thank you for the heads up. I need to figure out how to walk on twitter - and Toons is refusing to guide me... I will hunt them down, thanks again :)

      Delete

 

TICP - Volume 5 - Sadly the last one


IndieTernational - Germany

IndieTernational - India

Grab It: Cross Wires #supportindie

IndieTernational - Greece

IndieTernational - Italy

Debut: Blockhouse Bay #supportindie

M O S C O W M E T R O - COSMOS

IndieTernational - Finland